Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do you you accept my insurance?
A. I am not listed with insurance companies nor do I bill insurance companies directly, I am a private practitioner. I’m licensed through the State of Utah as any other mental health professional, and have been for 16 years, but have elected to not contract with insurance companies. Clients I see pay me at the remainder of each session by check, credit card, cash, venmo, or third-party payment. Yet, you still can potentially use your insurance, read below.

Q. Why aren’t you on my insurance?
A. Many therapists in long-term practice are no longer affiliated with health maintenance organizations, HMOs. I am a private practitioner and have elected to do so for a variety of reasons. This gives me more influence over scheduling, payments, broader scope of treatment, diagnosis, in addition to providing more privacy and protection for my clients.

Q. How do I find out if my health insurance plan has mental health benefits or coverage and if they will allow me to be treated by you?
A. Simply call the 1-800 number on the back of your insurance card and speak with a customer service representative to determine the following:

  1. If you have mental health benefits as a part of your health insurance plan.
  2. If you do have coverage, if you can be treated by an out-of-network therapist.
  3. Determine the reimbursement amount is that your insurance company will offer.
  4. Ask the customer service rep how you would go about filing claims for sessions, all insurance companies have their own unique process.

Q. If you don’t bill insurance companies how can I use my insurance benefit?
A. I can provide you a Statement of Payments or Superbill, a formal statement that indicates that you have seen me so you can then seek reimbursement from your insurance company.

Q. What is a Statement of Payments?
A. The superbill or statement of payments is a document that indicates that you came to a counseling session and were treated by a licensed therapist/counselor. It shows that you paid for the session and has insurance codes that indicate you were treated for an hour and for a mental health need.

Q. What do I do with the Statement of Payments you have given me and how do I submit or file a claim with my insurance company?
A. Providers or private practice therapists like me, that are not considered ‘in-network’ or ‘contracted with’, often offer such statements so clients can then file and submit a claim or reimbursement directly to their insurance company. As a licensed counselor and therapist, I am not in contract or in-network with insurance companies nor do I bill them directly.

Q. How do I know if I my insurance will reimburse me for the sessions I pay you for?
A. Often your insurance company will have you fill out a form online or otherwise fill out some of their company-specific paperwork in addition to asking for a copy of the Statement of Payments I provide you. They will tell you how the claim process works for you to submit your sessions. I cannot and do not guarantee their reimbursement for sessions. Reimbursement is determined by your insurer and your specific coverage and plan. I encourage my clients with insurance to seek reimbursement from their insurance company if possible.

Before coming in for sessions you can follow the numbered questions above in the second FAQ question above and to confirm two things; if you have mental health benefits on your insurance plan and secondarily what the benefit is and if they will allow you to be treated by an out-of-network therapist.